Handy hints before you buy
The home building journey is an exciting yet complex one, made simple by our experienced team. However, there are a few things to consider yourself that can help make the process as seamless and straightforward as possible.
Why are you buying this home?
Is this a home for you to live in or to invest it? The answer to that question will influence many of the choices you make down the track. If it’s a home for you to live in, you’ll need to consider how your family’s needs may change over time.
How much do you want to spend?
This is an important decision to make early on, as it will guide the decisions you make along the way. You need to consider the long-term value of your home – the asset you will be acquiring, and the positive change that a new home could make to your lifestyle. And in terms of calculating your budget, there are two key factors: your borrowing ability and the cost of your property. Once you’ve figured both out, you’ll have a clear indication of your price limit.
Where do you want to live?
If this is a home for you to live in, then proximity to friends and family, schools, transport or community facilities are no doubt important considerations. If your new property is an investment, you might want to consider the rental return of the area or its capital growth. Proximity to shops, transport and education facilities can also be important in attracting renters.
When do you want to move in or purchase?
- Deciding when to purchase can be influenced by a range of factors – are you starting a new job or expecting a new family member?
- The size of your deposit and whether you are in a good financial position to buy.
- Whether or not you need to sell an existing property – if you’re considering an investment, the state of the current economic climate is something you’ll want to consider before taking the plunge. However, the type of economic conditions that are best for you will depend on what you are looking to gain from your investment. Be sure to seek professional financial advice if your Shavida home will be an investment.
Who should you approach for advice?
When it comes to buying a new home, it’s important to do as much research as possible so as to discover what your options are, what’s available in different areas, and how much you can expect to pay. Valuable resources around you can be:
- Family and friends – they may be able to share their personal stories and knowledge of locations and facilities in certain areas.
- Industry experts – they can provide professional insights, knowledge and expertise. A visit to a local display centre or estate agent can be invaluable. Media, including the property lift-out in the paper and real estate websites, as well as builder and developer websites are also an excellent resource when it comes to exploring the home building process further.
- What type of purchase option suits you the best?
When it comes to buying a home, there are several different ways to go about it that depend on your financial situation, the location you’re interested in, the size of your family, and your own unique lifestyle. You can generally choose from one of the following options:
Buying a new home, townhouse or apartment in a masterplanned community.
With this option, your new home comes with all the extras and is a unique pocket of life in an already established streetscape and community. You know what you get in your property – and what to expect next door, and down the street. Community facilities such as pools and gyms can also add to the lifestyle appeal of your new property.
Buying established real estate
This gives you plenty of options to choose from, with a wide range of budget preferences and types of homes available. Plus, you’ll be able to move in sooner!
Building a new home
This option allows you to shape the home you want, the way you want. And by building a new home, you also won’t have to worry about maintenance costs for a long time to come.
Buying land to build upon
Land in Australia is a valuable asset, and being able to choose the location, aspect and amenities to match your lifestyle empowers you with a world of flexibility.
Got more questions about building with us?
Shavida combines over 60 years of experience with a contemporary design approach to shape quality, lasting dream homes for families all over Australia. To find out more about why you should put your future in Shavida’s hands click here or talk to one of our experienced consultants directly on 1800 950 756.